Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Overjoyed, Blessed, Loved... There wasn't a word today. Day Two...

Ever have one of those days? 

Our day started like they all will- breakfast together, devotions, and debriefing of the day.  Then the day happened. 

Today was the water trucks.  I love them.  It is a little piece of tangible life that we can give to the Haitians.  I love it.  Activator is a strength-- being able to physically do something is so wonderful and makes my heart happy.  I was also excited to see the first time teammates see and experience this-- and be able to hopefully capture them with my camera. 

One of the blessings the Haitians have received recently is rain.  This made the water truck stops not nearly as critical this time around- it was not as crowded or panicked as it was before.  The first stop was one of ordered chaos- filling the buckets, lined buckets, kids.  Lots and lots of kids.  The team was surrounded by dozens of kids- with hand slapping games, hand holding, holding kids, and just generally loving on them.  Kids literally make these stops for me.  They are selfless, openly loving, and smiling at the "blanc" that we all are.  I found myself seeing the team all in the same... only them smiling at the love and heart of the Haitians.  It was beautiful.  I can't tell you how beautiful it was to see each person interact with each other and the people of Haiti.  It can draw tears.  These people are such a blessing.  

The second stop... Well.  The thing is... I have talked to a few about this little boy that I saw on our first stop the last time I was here.  I have dreamt of him. I have been longing to see him... and then we were not going to his stop.  Except...he appeared.  Wearing the same colored shirt, no pants, and grabbed my face and hands just the same as last time.  I am not really a crier in public, but my goodness... I sobbed when I realized it was him.  He knew and remembered me... and again did not leave my side through most of our time there.  In the midst of holding my Haitian boy, a group of girls started touching my hair.  Not only do I really not cry in public, I also have a physical reaction to almost anyone touching my hair.  They pulled the bun out that I had my hair wrapped in, and started combing it with their fingers.  Not satisfied with the results, this happened not once, but twice, all the time holdinng my boy.  As we went to leave, he came with me to the truck, kissed him goodbye, and hopped into the back of the truck.  His mother put him on the truck to go with me.  A mother of two children myself, my heart ripped wide open...He wasn't supposed to be at this stop. And not only was he there, but wanted to come with me. 

Stop three?  A blur of sorts... This stop felt like endless buckets.  After taking pictures, I helped with the water truck, running the hose to fill people's buckets.  It seemed like we stopped four or five times in that there were no more buckets... and then there were more that reappeared.  There was this one little girl- she couldn't have been much older than 5 or 6- that came back time and again with new buckets- filling and carrying/ sliding them herself.  It was amazing.  The strength of the people down here is amazing. 

We finished our water truck day early and spent part of our afternoon visiting together- talking through the day and what we had seen.  A couple of water trucks came to the guest house here, and then one of Healing Haiti's trucks arrived... with FANFAN!!  I had anticipated not seeing him either because he is going to school and spends much more of his time at Grace Village.  I literally screamed and hugged and etc... The world is such a better place just by having FanFan in it.  It was such a wonderful surprise...

For all the events of the day, the blessing and gifts and love just came pouring down from heaven.  Dear Lord.  Use my hands... use my feet.... to serve the least of these.  I'll follow you into the world.  Continue to break my heart wide open.  Please.  I commit my heart and this week for what more you would want to do in and through me.  All in. At the same time, please bless and protect and keep my little boy.  I love him as I do Chase and Chloe... knowing full well I can't touch how much You love him God.  Protect and keep my own babies.  Thank you for this day.  I am overwhelmed and humbled by your grace and love outpoured today. 

Much love. 

~Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment