Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 5: Dream

Many days, my blogs come through as a way to just communicate my heart and mind- a part of the process.  Today, my words come from a distict prayer for strength and courage to speak out loud (on paper) pieces that have been on my heart for a long time. 
Our day started in Cite Soleil.  We made two stops with the water truck.  The weather has been really warm down here.  While this doesn't bother me, it has been too warm for some on the team at times.  More importantly though, it is too warm for the Haitians.  Having every so often been in a period of need on an American level, I understand to some degree the panic that sets in when you have no idea when the next provision will come.  For them, it was water.  The first stop we made was more desperate than they had been on Tuesday for water.  I don't know why outside of the rain factor that would impact this for these people.  "Respekte liy lan"  (respect the line) was a common phrase we were saying today, and at times shouting a bit to be heard.  Liy Lan ended up being the shortened form of it.... but this is where I have a huge amount of grace and patience.  To not know or understand or have fear of not having enough is exceptionally difficult to wade through, especially with children. I have never been in want like they have, but I have feared how I was going to be able to take care of my children in these years of single motherhood.  I climbed onto the top of the water truck to gain additional photos of the landscape in some ways.  Our second stop was Cite 17.  This was my first stop here in Haiti in the field a year and a half ago. Cite 17 is really hard for everyone simply because you see homes built on trash.  There is a trash walk of sorts bringing you out to the coast line.  The poverty is overwhelming, but at the same time, you see and experience each child being so selfless.  They get so concerned about where we're stepping or if we get dirty that they try to clean us off.  I have noticed this now twice at this stop in particular.  It is amazing these children.  There is so much more that could be said, and perhaps should be said, but it is almost impossible to describe the people versus the surroundings adequately.

After the two water truck deliveries, we had time to go for a quick swim in the pool.  I was able to connect with Jenn for a bit today and in this connection, speak about what Haiti has meant and what I am leaving with my second time down here.  Jenn told me of this book she read- the Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkenson.  It is an essential parable of a man who has been given this dream and is told by many he cannot and should not persue this dream.  Instead, he does just that, overcoming obstacles and on his own.  (Ironically or not so much, I read the words to Oh The Places You'll Go this morning too.  For real.) I told her of some of my dreams and things I hope to bring to Haiti- making things to go in the TapTap to make it at least a little more comfortable, figuring out how to be specific in raising funds for the water truck, self-sufficiency at the guesthouse or at Grace Village or in the community of Titanyen.  Ideas.  I ws telling her of dreams that scare me for what they could mean back home.  Since high school, it has been on my heart to build an orphanage.  I don't know the need.  I don't know the legalities.  I know nothing outside of this burning to see to it that every child has a bed, a meal, clothes, and a chance for opportunity to change what may otherwise be a pre-destined outcome of living on the streets.  I have this gut feeling that while there are really great people that have done just this, that there are many more who are without these basic needs being met.  Seeing where the children live here, I can no longer sit back and be ok with children at home having nothing when we have so much and so many ways to fix that problem.  There is not a way for me to change the housing of the probably thousands of children in Cite Soleil.  I refuse to believe children in Minnesota have to live the same way. 

Our day finished out with a trip to the Home for Sick and Dying, dinner, a trip to market for a few, and word of the day.  I talked with a mother, through Wilson, at the Home for Sick and Dying and heard her story.  It is one that we would or could be quick to judge, but at the same time, I found myself telling her she was a good mother and clearly cared for her children to even be at the Home for Sick and Dying.  Little Daphne was so cute-- under weight and very small for being 18 months, but this momma made my heart happy to be doing something about it. 

I don't often share the words of other teammates, but have to share this great story.  One of the team woke up feeling really sick and essentially hurting.  She was looking to still go out- really feeling like she was supposed to- but praying for how she was going to be able to.  A group of us prayed over her- asking for God to remove where the devil may be getting in-- also for a host of angels to come down and protect and heal her- remove where she was unwell and during the prayer, her stomach no longer hurt.  She took medication with her for the rest of the day, and she was fine the rest of the day.  God can work miracles.  God can send His angels down.  God can do anything.  Anything.  Amazing what God will do.  I still recognize the answer sometimes is no, but I don't doubt the goodness of God to bring about the desires of His children if we ask and it is part of His good and perfect plan.  God is so good. 

The song yesterday was "Take my life and let it be... all for You and for Your glory.  Take my life and let it be Yours.  Glory to God.  Glory to God...." God, we give you glory and praise and honor for miracles worked, healing performed, broken hearts, teams that grow close, hugs and comfort as we walk through what you're trying to teach us here, and dreams that are given that you don't let die.  In all these things, let us constantly strive to do your will and have the courage to step out boldly knowing You qualify the called not call the qualified.  Your Word speaks to that over and over.  Please continue to move in and through us as we finish out our week here. 

Take my life and let it be all for You and Your glory. 
Amen and Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment