Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day Three: Optimistic

Oh my.... I love this place.  I just do. 

Today started with a little something we call church.  Haiti style.  Couldn't understand a thing, but they know how to worship.  Hallelujah is universal and just as powerful sung silently, in a traditional country church, a contemporary mega-church, or through the speakers blaring in Port au Prince.  The worship is beautiful.  They pray for each other with reckless abandon- turned together holding hands almost shouting their prayers for how passionate they are.  If nothing else, the experience to worship with reckless abandon has struck a deep cord.  I had the privilege to pray for one Miss Amy who has become a bosom friend as Anne of Green Gables so eloquently put it.  She came in place of someone else, and with all that is in me knows and recognizes the hand of God in this.  She has been such a blessing to me as a relator in having been here for a second trip as well. 

After breakfast, we packed up to go to Gertrude's. It is my understanding that in Haiti, the children with special needs- be it a physical or mental handicap (among completely healthy children) often are dropped at hospitals because they cannot be cared for otherwise.  Because the hospitals do not have the means to care for these children, it can mean that they just won't.  Enter Gertrude.  She is a nun who visits the hospitals and rescues these babies (using the word loosely as my children at almost 9 and 11 are my "babies").  The thought of being or parenting a special needs child takes a certain amount of skill and capability.  In a poverty stricken country?  Near impossible to adequately care for each of these kids.  This has otherwise before been an experience I somewhat stayed shut to.  It is outside my comfort zone, so I thought I would be content just taking pictures.  Best laid plans when on a mission trip meant to stretch and break and be uncomfortable means God has a way different idea of what this would be.  I was grabbed onto and climbed up by a little boy who held on for all he was worth today.  I did get some picture taking in, but it was not how I imagined.  What I saw was an amazing team once again.  Cindy, Renae, and Carly have such sweet hearts for the babies.  It is so powerful to watch them lose themselves here and allow God to work in them.  Pretty powerful stuff. 

We had a break around lunch time which turned into swimming for the team and time to decompress before the rest of the afternoon.  The water felt wonderful and the break was a nice one.  After time swimming and together (technology free), we prepared for the Home for Sick and Dying Babies. 

The last trip here, going to this place was the toughest place for me.  I hurt so badly having misunderstood the mortality rate there. I was pleasantly corrected that it is actually quite low and they are able to restore health to many of the malnourished children who come in.  It isn't perfect, but it is much better than their circumstances otherwise might be.  I am so thankful for each of these nuns and their life of service.  They are, in their own right, amazing people. I held a little boy once we first arrived, went into the room of baby girls, and then went downstairs. The downstairs holds the babies that are in need of medical care- some are in rather serious condition, others are in fair to stable condition.  I was approached by a nun who just looked at me and said -- here- she's crying to be held.  After a time rocking the little girl while standing, Wilson, one of the Healing Haiti men, had me come outside since it was cooler out there. And there I sat.  With Daniah who is four.  And weighs about the same as my year and half old nephew, Noah.  My heart breaks at how little they are... but in all of this, my word of optimistic rings through. 

In a country known for the poverty and poor conditions, there are children who need help- the sick, the orphaned, the least of these that Christ talks about.  But from these conditions, hope springs eternal.  There is the possiblity of adoption for them.  And right now?  Their needs are being met.  They are getting medical care.  They are getting fed.  Bathed.  Diaper changes.  And held by people who come simply to hold and love on them.  Some of them have mothers that come, but that are unable to medically or physically care for them.  In their visits, they too will love on and hold their babies. What is so interesting to me is that they would give up their children if it meant the kids could in fact come to the US.  The love them enough to give them up, time and again, to not see them in sacrifice of the babies having a better future.  We hold so tightly to our children, perhaps that is the lesson God is trying to teach us all.  What am I holding so tightly that others would freely give in order that that thing could prosper? Flourish? What are each of us clinging to so hard that we are suffocating what could be as perfect and beautiful as a rose in bloom?  What needs letting go? 

Optimism springs hope eternal for this place.  For what God might do in each of us.  For what God may use the words of the others here and the stories to come back.  For the desires of each of our hearts, minds, and what He has perfectly planned and called us all to do. I am so thankful for the confirmation of the called for this week. 

PS-- the soundtrack for the day?  "Tell me.... once again... who I am to you... who I am to you.  Tell me... lest I forget...I belong to you.  To You."  Jason Gray.  Remind Me Who I Am. 

Be blessed at home.  Be blessed here.  Hope springs eternal in the promises of the Father who will never forget that you are His.  Created. Called. Loved.  Saved. His. 

~Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment