Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What a day!!  I can't even to begin to explain what we have experienced so far on our Haiti mission.  Our pictures will tell a better story of our journey, but for now I will try my best.  Today was day 2.
Our day started at 6am worship in the large local tent.  As I didn't understand any words, I was moved by the actions of these most faithful followers.  Their dancing, shouting, singing, chanting and praising the Lord was a great witness of how hopeful and dedicated the Haitians are.  Quite an experience.
 
After another amazing breakfast by our wonderful cooks, we were off to our first mission of the day.  It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to play and spend quality time with handicapped children at Gertrudes Home.  Walking into this home, I wasn't really sure what to expect.  We all connected  to our own special child and got to work.  As I tried to take it all in, I noticed a little boy on the floor, unable to walk or talk, but just looked at me with his big eyes.  He was my buddy for the next hour or so.  We enjoyed walking outside, playing with a ball, and simply tickling and getting a smile out of my buddy.  My next focus was on the sweetest most angelic baby I think I have ever seen!   Baby Estella had been dropped off at the home a few day ago, being 4 months old and weighing 6 lbs.  She was the most perfect baby in every way.  My heart was filled with joy holding and loving little Estella.  She was so content and happy to just be.  Couldn't help but wonder over and over what will happen of this little being, so sweet and innocent.  Very hard to leave her.  Estella will forever be in my prayers.

We had a break for a few hours this afternoon and were able to enjoy the pool at the hotel.  Pool felt great and was a nice break after an emotional morning!

Our next mission was to hold babies at the home for the sick and dying.  What a facility this is!  Incredible sisters take such good care of these sweet babies.  I had a wonderful connection with baby Dania, she was quite the singer and didn't  like to be put down.  When I first entered the room I was taken back by all the cribs lined up with the sweetest babies.  Some crying, some sleeping, some smiling.  Surprisingly, I felt peaceful leaving these babies knowing that they are well cared for, prayed for constantly and loved.

Emotions abound and I know I will be a different person when I return home. 
Thank you Haiti!!

No comments:

Post a Comment