Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 6: Home

I've had the song "Dream a Little Dream of Me" stuck in my head off and on all day.  Goodness.  (see previous post for reference). 

I honestly woke up with the same migraine I had gone to bed with last night.  When/ if I get a headache I get a headache.  After writing a bit, resting and just taking things a little slowly to start the day, I went in my room and had a talk with God about how the day was going to go- with or without this going on.  I just wanted to know in case... turns out, it was to be without a headache for the day.  I can't tell you how thankful and happy it makes my heart to not have a migraine. 

Our day consisted of preparing and bringing the orphans of Grace Village to the beach.  Not a small task mind you as they out numbered us 44 to 11 team members-- I am thankful for Tory (?sp of her name- I just know she's fantastic), our three Haitian boys, Mickey, Jule, and FanFan for bringing up the number.  Once we got to Grace Village, there was the process of getting all the kids and people loaded onto the taptap and bus that had been hired to drive us.  Our first stop?  Completely full beach.  Not necessarily the safest environment for the kids with so many of them versus so few of us.  We just kept driving, stopping a few times, praying all the way, and then finding a private beach that would let us come in for what we inteded to pay.  My family used to road trip a lot, and it reminded me a little of our quest for a hotel on our Michigan trip, only add 40 more children, 20 degrees, very little breeze, and a Haitian landscape.  Also different?  Spontaneous worship of the 30 kids on the bus.  There aren't words sufficient to describe the faith and the moment of having kids break out in song singing literally Glory to God. 

Our beach time was mostly like any other- just with more kids to watch over.  It felt a bit like my summer camp days in many ways and I now understand the stress the adults had of making certain we all came out of the water.  The kids had a great time with the floaties and various water toys we had along with.  I mostly pretended to be a lifeguard of sorts- holding the line of how far out they could go and setting kids back on solid ground when they went out farther than they though for depth.  It was much more comfortable for me to supervise the play rather than engage in it, and wonderful knowing others were doing the same thing on the beach and a Bob, Tory, and I in the water.  We had lunches packed for the kids, and after eating and a little more play time, we made our way back to Grace Village. 

Haiti wouldn't be the same without a flat tire I am coming to realize.  The bus got a flat not quite half way back to Grace Village.  We pulled over to the side of the road without any water, food, or much of anything "to do" by American standards. What amazes me is the kids.  They listened and behaved and took care of each other so well.  There is very little fighting or even bickering between them and they were helping each other dress at the beach after swimming.  After about an hour and a half, we were once again on our way- having had the taptap come back for us.  I am still amazed and laugh a little at how many people the Haitians are used to having crammed into one of these things. We weren't even close to full with the kids by Haitian standards, but my goodness, by American standards?  Very crowded and not the smoothest of roads.  I felt like I was continually falling on Nick (which is probably better than the two boys sitting next to me as I stood).  I wish I could bring back the "go with the flow" of Haiti into my every day life.  Beach is too crowded? That's ok. We just keep driving.  Flat tire?  That's ok. We'll have a game of keep away.  Thirsty kids?  There's a roadside stop with water bags available to purchase.  Get somewhere late?  We're on Haiti time- when I get there I'll get there.  A small car could fit in some of the pot holes (using that loosely) here. 

Home:  I am feeling as if it's ok to leave here because I'll be back to my second home in Haiti again sooner rather than later again this time.  Home.  Haiti feels like a home here.  It's where God meets me, meets us, and does some really great things.  Home.  I am still choked up that Grace Village is home to the orphans.  They have one finally.  Home.  While I miss my Caribou, it will be a while before I am able to do some things again... and maybe that is what I give up.  The money I spend on coffee could be so much better utilized down here.  Conviction of stewardship is coming back strong this time.  Home.  I miss my kids.  I have seen Chase and Chloe in each of the kids here- each day has shown a child that reminded me of both of them and I want little else than to see them.... perfection of sorts would be to have them here with me, but not yet. 

Song of the day: Strong Enough by Matthew West

I know I'm not strong enough to be
everything that I'm supposed to be
I give up
I'm not stong enough
Hands of mercy won't you cover me
Lord right now I'm asking you to be
Strong enough
Strong enough
For the both of us
Thank You Lord for making us strong.  Making us able to do work.  Providing enough for the day.  Stretching us to do what is uncomfortable here to bring You glory and fulfill what you have created us for.  My heart is so full of thanks, praise, and glory in what you have done in us, through us, and will continue to do as we return home.  May we each keep what you have shown our hearts and minds.  I pray each of us will be moved to action, myself in need of the most help, for what breaks your heart.  I love and praise you Lord. 

Amen and Amen. 

See you at home. 

~Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment