Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day Two- Brave (Carly) My word of the day today was brave. Most of this team has never been to Haiti, and I think I speak for most when I say that water truck day can be a little scary because you are so unsure of what to expect, and our comfort zones were definitely tested- but every one of these team members hopped out of the truck and did their job. We loved the children, we delivered fresh water, we cared for those needing our attention. It was almost as if our team put aside any fears, and showed true bravery by just jumping right in. Today was a day I will never forget. As soon as we hopped out of the truck, kids swarmed us, begging to be picked up and held. The first little boy that I picked up was unclothed, and seemed desperate for some attention. I gave him a big hug and he hugged me back, refusing to be put down. The connection with these children is almost instant. They are so lovable and so kind- and it's contagious. I felt as though I wanted to pick up every child and show them any sort of compassion that I could. As we got back on the truck to leave, a few children grabbed our faces and kissed us goodbye. The day was hard and emotional, but so rewarding for this team, and every Haitian today that we helped. I can't wait to see who else we help tomorrow. -Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment