Monday, January 14, 2013

Arriving in Haiti


We made it! Our team is safely in Haiti.

We met this morning at the Minneapolis airport at 3:45 a.m. We had 22 bags we were checking, plus our own personal carry-on bags. The checked bags contain much needed shoes, clothes, baby formula, diapers and medical supplies. After a short time at the airport, we boarded an uneventful flight to Miami.


Upon arriving in Miami we enjoyed a great lunch, filled out water bottles and hopped our flight to Haiti. Just over 90 minutes later we arrived in Port-Au-Prince. We had a great team from Healing Haiti that met us at the airport. They made us feel very welcomed! They helped us gather our baggage and get it out to the truck. It was actually a very easy process (all things considered). Port-Au-Prince recently updated their airport and I was told it made the process a lot easier.

The drive to the guest house was what I expected. Traffic was a bit crazy and then once we turned off the main road we were in the heart of Port-Au-Prince. Bouncing our way down a dirt road. We passed street vendors and a few goats grazing on the side of the road. A group of kids shouting at us as we drove by.  One boy even ran alongside our truck shouting at us. 

Upon arriving at the guest house we unloaded the truck and enjoyed a great dinner of tacos and wonderful conversation. Dinner was followed by a short sharing time and part of the team is unpacking and sorting our checked luggage and the rest of us are either hanging out, blogging or just relaxing and enjoy time together.

I'm excited about what God is going to do in the coming week. We have an amazing team!

Part of our sharing time is a word of the day...one word that describes how we feel that day. Today my word was overwhelmed. I have experienced a major mix of emotions. This morning I woke up at 2:00 a.m. feeling like complete crap. I had a horrible night sleep and the anti-malaria meds were not agreeing with my stomach. I had a few moments where I thought, "Why am I doing this. Maybe I shouldn't go." But that thought was soon dismissed. Then upon in Haiti I felt so welcomed, by the Healing Haiti team here, the staff at the house and my fellow teammates. I know this is where I am supposed to be.

Thank you all for your love, support and prayers! I look forward to what God has in store for us in the coming week!

Mary Ann

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment