Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day Three

Bless the Lord, oh my soul and all that is within me...Bless His holy name.

Today was our time to be at the home for sick and dying babies. What an honor to be allowed to come into their dwelling. The nuns and ladies do an amazing job of caring for these little ones.

The main floor is a maze of small rooms, two of which are dedicated to the babies. One room is about 14' by 18' with 15 tiny metal cribs lined end to end and side by side. The second room is about 10' x 10' with 9 cribs. My picture of this before I went was a large room with no adult activity...just babies alone in a cavernous existence. God bless these gentle ladies who care for these little ones. They bustle around them all day. Feeding and changing and delivering medication. There is so much to do with many of them on respirators or feverish. Every half hour or so they put on a children's music tape..ABCs or other children's tunes. Healing Haiti is allowed to come in and help the nuns by feeding or changing or simply holding and talking to the children.

I had sealed my heart for this trip. Over the year, I have allowed my heart to seal itself from pain and suffering. It helps to survive in an overwhelming world and corporate America jobs. But sadly, the best part of ME is safely on ice, behind locked doors.

I can feel my heart begin to thaw not only from the heat of the day (holy moly, its hot) but from tiny hands and huge wide feverish eyes. I have given of ME.... I always worried I would run out of ME...that "they" would take the best of me. I've known that I am supposed to be God's funnel for His love but... How difficult to remember that... until you are put in a situation where you can do nothing but sit and give a child love...too hot to run around...no energy to play anyway...just sit.... and love.

Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment